The first transatlantic radio transmissions were made from Poldhu in 1901. This photographs conveys the size of the antenna installation, comprising twenty 200-foot masts and driven by a 25 kW alternator. Unfortunately, a gale blew the masts down just before the first test transmissions in December 1901, which were nevertheless successful using a hastily-rigged two-mast antenna. Early the following year Poldhu communicated through its rebuilt antenna wuth a ship installation on the Philadelphia out to 700 miles in daylight and 1550-2100 miles at night, a demonstration of immense consequence for naval warefare as well as passenger liners.
From T. Devereux, Messenger God of Battle, Brassey's, London, 1991.